Book Review - Angels and Demons.


Salam to all.
Three words to describe:
Gripping. Shocking. Presto.
What I like:
  1. The fast-paced plot. How everything seemed to happen all at once. The 'treasure hunt'. The hunt for the Hassassin. The secrets.
  2. The underground-ness of the Illuminati.
  3. Elements of the latest advancement in science and technology.
  4. The church and the Illuminati's opposing views on science.
  5. How the author reveals the secret. I like his writing style.

What I dislike:

  1. The long description of the setting. I kinda skipped some~
  2. The part when the carmelengo run here and there.

Opinion (to fully understand what I'm saying,you have to finish the book first. Not applicable to the movie version -because I haven't seen the movie-):

  1. The element of Christianity in this book is not, in my frank opinion, extreme. Yes, the whole book is talking about it but as long as you are not thinking too deeply or question your faith in Islam, I don't think this book would be a problem. As far as I can see, there are similarities between Christianity and Islam; the way both religion want their followers to be spiritually connected to The Creator. How logic cannot be put ahead of faith. How science should be guided so that it can truly benefit mankind without sparing humanity itself.
  2. However, one major difference between the two religion is the approach to science. In this novel, the Catholic Church were being seen as the enemy of science because they were against scientific research that were thought to trigger diversion of their followers' faith. Islam on the other hand encourages scientific research with two main aims; to make people acknowledge and appreciate the near-perfectness of Allah's creation and to ease the lives of human being through the discovery of cure to diseases, for example. Even the first word that was revealed to Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was 'Iqra''
  3. I don't know if Vittoria's research about how the marine animals seem to have some form of invisible communication method (something like that) is true or not, but the point is this. The world is full of wonders, we just have to help them reveal themselves.
  4. However, the idea of Science as a new religion is absurd. Humans are not robots, or durian trees or white tigers. We are simply not a bunch of different atoms combined together. We have soul and we have A Creator. Food feeds the body, knowledge feeds the mind but what about our soul, the single most important thing that differentiates us from a robot, durian tree and white tiger? Like billions of girls worldwide, of course I experience 'the time of the month' or 'the period of disintegration of the linings of the vaginal walls' to put in scientific terms. For you who do not know, we Muslimat (Muslim ladies) are not permitted to perform the prayer, fast or read the Holy Quran during that period. Thus, I'm able to compare the feelings during the time when I can pray and the time when I cannot. And I do feel some kind of emptiness when I'm not performing the prayers or recite the Quran~ Ask yourself (if you're a Muslimah) or ask your Muslimat friends. I'm quite certain they would give the same answer.
  5. I question the idea of using an Arab man as the Hassassin. The Hassassin, for one thing is depicted as ruthless, amative and easy to be fooled. Was the writer (or perhaps some other party with hidden agenda) trying to make a silent statement? Of course the book did mention about the origin of the word 'Hassassin' but I'm seriously not convinced that that is the real reason.
  6. Islam is a religion that does not go against human nature. Islam does not kill human's desire to love and be loved by people of the opposite gender. Even if you are the Imam of the Masjidil Haram, you're allowed to marry and have a family. Frankly, I think, if this is the case, all the craziness and killings in the story would never even be plotted.
  7. Rome and Vatican City are the living proof that huge amount of money can be generated from historical assets. Malaysia should make them as an example.

All in all, I think this book is a great boredom killer.


2 comments:

  1. nurulfana

    for me, this is the best book i ever read
    yes it do touch the sensitivity of the religion
    but i see it from the scientific point of view
    how the writer connects science and religion
    but the muvie is bit disappointing
    the intro was too fast and completely different
    and the ending too

    but the book is totally remarkable

     
  2. uraniumwise

    Yeah, I heard about the movie being kinda different. Well, that is to be expected.. Like Harry Potter.. And Twilight..

    Yup, this book is truly remarkable..

     

Post a Comment

Daily obligation